If you drive as far south as possible without hitting Iowa, you’ll find yourself in the vicinity of Oswald Brewing. The Nordic-inspired taproom and brewery is filled with artifacts that inspire a wink of curiosity in the average drinker.
Here, I sampled a full flight. The lineup included:
- Valkyrie Wheat (ABV 5.9%, IBY 24.6)
- Thor’s Thirst (ABV 5.6%, IBU 32)
- Loki IPA (ABV 6.5%, IBU 66)
- Berserker NPA (ABV 6.5% IBU 52.3)
- Erik The Red (ABV 5.9%, IBU 33.8)
- Magnus Milk Stout (ABV 5.5%, IBU 29.9)
I received advice from owner John Oswald and his daughter.
JO: We moved here from Colorado for our kids. We wanted them to have a good education in a small town.
D: Why a small town? Sassy [the family dog] liked it there, and you could have made more money.
JO: Yeah, but it’s not about the money; it’s about the lifestyle. And I think Sassy’s enjoying herself here, too.
John is clearly teaching his daughter to value the things money can’t buy–not just in lectures, but in massive lifestyle changes. That’s dedication.